Cannabis Ads Are Now Possible on Twitter in the U.S.
Twitter has become a cannabis social media trailblazer. The bluebird platform is making the cannabis conversation even louder by allowing approved and state-legal cannabis companies, and other specified advertisers, to post and share ads for regulated CBD and THC products.
Pinning their revolutionary announcement proudly on their platform, Twitter explained, “[We are] the place where moments matter and where trends are born. As the cannabis industry has expanded, so too has the conversation on Twitter. The cannabis space is fun and engaging with users tweeting about their experiences using cannabis—whether medicinally, for wellness, or for recreation, as well as recommending brands, products, and retail locations. As of today, in certain U.S. states, we have taken measures to relax our Cannabis Ads policy to create more opportunities for responsible cannabis marketing—the largest step forward by any social media platform.”
So, what are the requirements for posting cannabis ads on Twitter?
Twitter Rules Cannabis Advertisers Must Abide By
Twitter has carved out strict rules for cannabis advertisers, including CBD and cannabinoids, to target the United States population. The rules are as follows:
- Cannabis advertisers must be licensed by the appropriate authorities and pre-authorized by the platform.
- Cannabis advertisers must only target their licensed’ target jurisdictions to promote these products and services online.
- Cannabis advertisers are not allowed to promote or offer the sale of cannabis, including CBD and cannabinoids, except for ads for topical (non-ingestible) hemp-derived CBD products with equal to or less than the 0.3% THC government-set threshold.
- Cannabis advertisers must comply with all applicable rules, laws, and advertising guidelines.
- Cannabis advertisers cannot target customers under the age of 21.
- Any advertisement for cannabis, including CBD and cannabinoids allowed, must also:
- Not appeal to minors. Your landing pages must be age-gated and sales must be age verified.
- Not use sports persons, characters, celebrities, or images/icons appealing to minors.
- Not use minors or pregnant women as models in advertising.
- Not make claims of efficacy or health benefits.
- Not make false or misleading claims.
- Not show a depiction of cannabis product use.
- Not depict people using or under the influence.
- Not encourage transport across state lines.
Twitter Wants to Match Your Cannabis Ad Spend
Twitter is incredibly motivated to fortify its relationship with cannabis advertisers, so much so that they’ll match cannabis ad spending up to $250,000 until March 30th, 2023. This six-week advertising incentive will cement new avenues for cannabis brands to appeal to Twitter’s 330M+ monthly active users and nurture unbreakable direct-to-consumer relationships without concern for unreasonable restrictions. We’re eager to see how the cannabis community buds and prospers on the social media platform with said contributions.
How to Launch Your Twitter Cannabis Ads
To prepare your Twitter cannabis ads for liftoff, you’ll first have to be pre-approved, present proper licensing, and run ads only in states you’re authorized.
We know it’s not easy to craft ads that will convert and grow your cannabis audience. Luckily, Kraus Marketing is here to help your business create gripping visuals and copy aimed at your target audience. Contact us today to get started on your Twitter cannabis marketing campaign.